Oral cancer is an oral disease affecting the mouth, lips, tongue, cheeks, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and throat. Like all forms of cancer, it is life-threatening if untreated. However, oral cancer is also one of the most easily treated forms of cancer and when diagnosed early can usually be treated successfully. For this reason, we recommend that you receive an oral cancer screening at least once a year during your regular dental exams. This allows our dentists to diagnose oral cancer or other problems in the earliest possible stages so that we can begin treatment.
Some common signs of oral cancer include:
- Red, white, or red and white speckled patches in your mouth
- Feeling as if something is caught in your throat
- A sore throat
- Bumps or rough areas in the soft oral tissues
- Ear pain
- Sores in your mouth or on your face that do not heal
- Unexplained oral bleeding
- Problems with chewing and other daily oral functions
As oral cancer can be painless in the initial stages of development, it is critical that you receive regular screenings to ensure this disease is diagnosed promptly if you do develop it.
For more information about oral cancer screenings in Anchorage, Alaska, and to schedule a consultation with our caring dentists, please contact Clear Dental today at (907) 313-2433. We are committed to helping you improve and maintain your health and smile.