Nightly teeth grinding is a common condition, but it can have devasting effects on patients’ health and quality of life. Commonly known as bruxism, this disorder causes people to clench and grind their teeth and jaws while they are asleep. Because this happens while they are unconscious, patients sometimes don’t even realize that they have this disorder. Because it can still affect your health, we recommend looking out for the following signs of bruxism:
- Discomfort around the joint of the jaw, the face or ears
- Teeth that look flattened or worn-down enamel
- A tight or tired feeling in the jaw when you wake up
- Teeth that are sensitive to changing temperatures or touch
- Indentations along the edge of the tongue
Over time, these symptoms can appear and even worsen. Plan a bruxism treatment at Clear Dental to help protect your teeth from damage. Our dentists can offer night guards in Anchorage, Alaska, to help prevent grinding and clenching between the upper and lower jaws. These guards will also be fitted to you, so you can wear them comfortably throughout the night. Learn more about bruxism and how it can affect your smile; phone (907) 313-2433 to speak with a member of our team and to plan a meeting with our dentists.